Saved buildings
save our heritage organisation logo



Yahoo  MSN  Google

1907 Collier Park Spring House

1907 Collier Park Spring HouseLa Mesa city plans call for the senseless demolition of the 1907 Spring House, which is part of Collier Park and Landmark Number 3 on La Mesa's historic register. It's also one of the few buildings in this city deemed eligible for the California and National Registers. The springs that bubble up here would have been known to the Kumeyaay, and in 1869, attracted rancher Robert Allison, who is considered La Mesa's founder. Later, D. C. Collier, a San Diego civic leader and pioneering developer of communities such as La Mesa, bought the land with the springs and built the Spring House as a bottling plant. That venture didn't materialize and Collier gave the building and some of the land to the people of La Mesa. It soon became known as Collier Park, the city's first public park. Two decades ago, the city closed and boarded up the Spring House. Now city planners are preparing to revamp Collier Park and they want to replace the Spring House with a new building for interpretive exhibits. But wait! A restored or renovated Spring House would make a fine exhibit space with the priceless advantage that La Mesa's history is part of the package. Please remember, people and elected officials of La Mesa: the greenest building is the one that is already built.

Photo by Sandé Lollis

LISTS FROM PAST YEARS

2017 | 2016

2015 | 2014

2013

Newly Added

Remaining from past years

2012 | 2011

2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006

2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001

Share

2476 San Diego Avenue · San Diego CA 92110 · Phone (619) 297-9327
Home | Contact