Lost San Diego -
California Southern (Santa Fe Depot)
The California Southern (Santa Fe Depot) built in 1887 at D and Atlantic Streets, now Broadway and Pacific Highway. This magnificent Victorian Railroad Depot, San Diego's first real connection to the world, was demolished after the New Spanish Revival Depot was constructed across the tracks to the East. The new depot was built to compliment the buildings for the Panama-California Exposition in Balboa Park.
Courtesy Coons collection
The site is still vacant, but will soon be occupied by a new office tower being built by the Irving Company. This important archeological site may yield significant information about the period when the completion of the transcontinental railroad finally realized a long fought for dream and allowed San Diego in the words of the time to "Greet The World."
Photo by Bruce Coons