- ABOUT SOHO
- OUR HISTORIC SITES
- TOURS & EVENTS
- PRESERVATION RESOURCES
Chorus Breviarii at the Adobe Chapel
An Educational and Entertaining Performance
By Dean Glass
Chorus Breviarii~San Diego is an ecumenical prayer group. They specialize in the study and practice of the traditional Gregorian hours or Divine Office. Originating during the period of Pope Gregory (590-604), Gregorian chant is the traditional music for Latin texts in the worship of the Roman Catholic Church. It is marked by performance in unison and by free-flowing rhythms that follow the phrasing of the text, and often call for one syllable to be sung across several notes.
Left to right (in the back) James Covalt, John Polhamus, Robert Keim, Roberto Lionello;
The Adobe Chapel was Old Town's parochial church from 1858 until 1919, which is also our period of interpretation, it continued to be used as a Catholic kindergarten until 1922, when the building was abandoned and boarded up. In 1936, ownership of the structure was transferred from the Roman Catholic Church to the City of San Diego, and the chapel was razed to put a street through and reconstructed by the WPA using much of the original fabric in 1937. From 1938 until 1970 the rebuilt chapel was used for religious services by the Columban Fathers, an international missionary organization affiliated with the Catholic Church, and has since been operated as a museum, first by the San Diego County Historical Days Association and now by Save Our Heritage Organisation.
MORE FROM THIS ISSUE
DOWNLOAD full magazine as pdf (11.7mb)