Saved buildings
save our heritage organisation logo



Yahoo  MSN  Google

Heritage Park Gets a Facelift

Sherman-Gilbert HouseSan Diego's Heritage Park in Old Town was busy this summer as workers redressed the Sherman-Gilbert house and the Temple Beth Israel in historic colors. A mutual agreement between SOHO and the county provides SOHO the opportunity to oversee and approve work done to insure historic integrity. Bruce Coons worked with contractors to assure appropriate colors and placement, resulting in an eye-catching glimpse of the aesthetics of their time.

Sherman-Gilbert House (1887) was the first structure moved to Heritage Park. John Sherman, cousin of Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman, hired architects Comstock and Trotsche to build this house. From 1892 to 1965, sisters Bess and Gertrude Gilbert, patrons of art and music, brought internationally famous entertainers for receptions in their home. It was the eminent demolition of this home that was the catalyst for the founding of SOHO over thirty-two years ago. For the first time, since moving to Heritage Park, the color scheme is both accurate and beautiful in its deep rich shades of greens and terracotta.

Temple Beth Israel (1889), was San Diego's first synagogue. Constructed by the Congregation Beth Israel, it also became temporary quarters for many religious sects before they establishedTemple Beth churches of their own. And even now its social importance is reflected in the use by the county of the Temple as a community center. Its rich legacy is now reflected more honestly in the truer deeper colors of its time.

Reservations for weddings, bar mitzvahs, receptions on the lawn, and public meetings can be made by calling the San Diego County Department of Park & Recreation at (619) 565-3600.

The buildings are quite striking and we urge you to visit the park and see the many improvements.

2001 - Volume 32, Issue 3

MORE FROM THIS ISSUE

VIEW digital online version


Baton Passes to SOHO for Neon Majorette


Old San Diego Police Headquarters


President's Message


Executive Director Report


Hotel Del Coronado Continuing Saga


Historic Hotel San Diego Awaits the Wrecking Ball

Threat to Agua Caliente


We Called it Caliente


County Historic Site Board Reinstated


Mills Act Notice


Volunteer Appreciation Party


Aztec Brewery Art & Artifact Ensemble


Heritage Park Gets a Facelift


The Ranch House


The Whaley House


Help Furnish the Whaley House


Volunteers Make the Difference


Whaley House Garden Update


SOHO Museum Shop at the Whaley House Grand Opening

Heritage Tourism


Welcome Ranger Berry


Letter to the Editors


In Memorium


Contributors to Success


VIEW digital online version


DOWNLOAD full magazine as pdf (6.4mb)

Share

2476 San Diego Avenue · San Diego CA 92110 · Phone (619) 297-9327
Home | Contact