Kim & Richard Schwab
Gift to the Street Award
A Prairie-style spec house in Mission Hills constructed by Master Builder Nathan Rigdon had been altered many times over the decades since it was first inhabited in 1916. Its integrity was so degraded that the home didn't qualify as a contributor to the Fort Stockton Line Historic District. The current owners, who bought the house in 2012, realized its potential and set about restoring the main façade.
Two historic photographs of the façade from the 1930s and forensic investigations guided the restoration. The porte-cochère that had been removed in 1960 was restored, and a porch that had been enclosed that same year was reopened. The front door had been moved; it was restored and returned to its original location. A second-story balcony that had been removed was reconstructed and a 1960 window was replaced with the original balcony door. Failing stucco was covered with historically appropriate new stucco and the front concrete walkway was re-poured and scored with a rectangular pattern seen in the historic photographs.
At this past April Historical Resources Board meeting, the house was designated and now reclassified as a contributor to the Fort Stockton Line Historic District.
Congratulations to Gift to the Street award winners, Kim and Richard Schwab, on their thoughtful and triumphant restoration.
Pictured left to right - Kim and Richard Schwab. All photos courtesy award winners, except bottom two by Sandé Lollis
PAST PEOPLE IN PRESERVATION AWARD WINNERS