Gladene & Newell Booth
Built in 1907 by land developer Reuben Quartermass, the Quartermass-Stensrud House originally fronted onto University Avenue. In 1929 the house was moved to a more residential location in the El Cerrito neighborhood. The home ultimately went through more than fifteen owners before being purchased by the current owners Gladene and Newell Booth in 2000, who spent the next seven years researching and restoring the dignity of this grand and elegant home, and which received historic designation from the City of San Diego in 2002.
Previous residents had "modernized" the home with popcorn ceilings with gold flecks, black paint on the wood moldings, whole wall mirrors in the front hall and lava rock covered a fireplace and was used as a wall surface.
Restoration and rehabilitation included rebuilding the original front porch, restoration or exact replication of more than 100 diamond shaped windowpanes, and even the outhouse received its due attention.
Stripping the paint off the column capitals revealed a gorgeously detailed carved motif. Missing details and woodwork were expertly replaced. Cabinets were replicated based on the one remaining original. The lava rock was removed and replaced with a period appropriate mantle and fireplace surround. Floors were stripped, sanded and refinished. The hands-on common sense approach and innovation in reusing original fabric, such as the laundry chute lining being used for missing counter tops in the butlers pantry, sets this restoration apart from the rest.
PAST PEOPLE IN PRESERVATION AWARD WINNERS
2017 | 2016
2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011