Saved buildings
save our heritage organisation logo



Yahoo  MSN  Google

Maritime Museum of San Diego
Preservation Innovation

Maritime Museum of San Diego Purchased in 1973 by the Maritime Museum of San Diego, the 1898 ferryboat Berkeley underwent a decade of restoration. The Berkeley serves as the Museum's headquarters. With well over a century spent in the waters, her hull was rusted, thinned and in need of restoration. After removing three decades of plant and animal growth and after filling the pits and covering the holes, the entire hull was sprayed with a ceramic coating material. The material was originally developed as a protective coating for use on North Sea oilrigs. The application of the ceramic coating to the hull of a historic vessel has allowed for a maximum retention of historic fabric while ensuring the hull's protection. It is believed that this revolutionary process will prove valuable in saving other aging historic vessels.

PAST PEOPLE IN PRESERVATION AWARD WINNERS

2017 | 2016

2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011

2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006

2005

2004

2003 | 2002 | 2001

Share

2476 San Diego Avenue · San Diego CA 92110 · Phone (619) 297-9327
Home | Contact