Become a Docent
(We only accept applications for volunteers November through August)
Tours and activities at SOHO's six historic sites, five of which are museums, are made possible by a group of specially trained volunteer docents and retail staff. Would you like to welcome visitors to the Whaley House, Marston House, Old Adobe Chapel, Warner-Carrillo Ranch House, or the Santa Ysabel Store?
SOHO's Museum Docents are a group of dedicated, trained volunteers, and are crucial to the operation of our four museums. After completing training, docents conduct personal tours. In addition, they may be called upon to staff the SOHO Museum Shop, and through other SOHO committees, involve themselves fully with the daily operation of these San Diego historic landmarks.
Are you a prospective docent?
- Do you have a curiosity or interest in San Diego history, architecture, culture, and historic houses?
- Do you enjoy sharing your knowledge and passion?
- Would you like the pleasure of introducing the late 1800's to early 1900's to people of all ages?
- Would you like to be a member of this special group that ensures that SOHO's four museums stay open to the public?
- Would you like to work in a stimulating, beautiful and historically significant building?
If so, you are a prospective docent. Please see the Docent Application Form. During the annual process of recruiting docents (November-August), you will be called for a brief interview and then asked to come in for a more in depth interview with our volunteer coordinator.
Whaley House Youth Docent Program
Created specifically for youths 12-17 years of age. Read how you can participate in the program.
Training takes place on-the-job though it does include some homework. Each museum has a unique set of criteria for serving guests. New docents receives a manual that contains detailed information regarding the museum, its history and the history of the people involved, and SOHO. Ongoing training happens throughout the year, usually on a quarterly basis, and all training sessions must be attended. They are often a favorite part of volunteering as the experts and authorities who come in to do the training are some of the region's most knowledgeable historians, curators, preservationists, and conservationists.
What's in store for you as a Docent?
- You become an integral part of SOHO's large group of volunteers and staff dedicated to the care and preservation of our museums for now and for future generations
- You are exposed to additional educational opportunities
- You are eligible to participate in activities, special events, and tours not open to the general public
Please see the Docent Application Form.
Looking for Employment with SOHO?
Please see the Employment Application Form.