The Whaley House Museum Shop Hiring Part-Time Retail Associate
The museum shop staff members are an integral part of the visitor experience. Museum shop staff sell admissions, merchandise, and answer general inquiries by phone and in-person from the visiting public.
Visit SOHOsandiego.org and WhaleyHouse.org for more information.
Description of Responsibilities
- Provide exceptional customer service and accurate site information to the public
- Demonstrate knowledge of the site offerings and programs
- Demonstrate an understanding of the store operations, policies and procedures
- Transact sales on point-of-sale system quickly, accurately, and efficiently
- Demonstrate product knowledge to assist customers in selections and promote sales
- Assist in inventory control; help to maintain a clean, orderly and attractive store, and an organized stockroom by keeping merchandise filled and neatly displayed
- Take reservations for special events, both by phone and in person
- Manage sales of guided tours, ensuring that the groups do not exceed the maximum number of guests
- Additional related duties as assigned
- Strong customer service skills required; ability to make each visitor feel welcome
- Strong team player with great communication skills
- Comfort with technology required; experience with basic point-of-sale systems
- Ability to multitask and prioritize required
- Experience with retail sales and/or store operations
- Solid grasp of basic math skills and ability to handle transactions quickly and accurately
- Capable of lifting up to 50 pounds
- Walking up and down stairs
- Standing for long periods of time
Other Desirable Qualities
- Experience with visual merchandizing
- An interest in historic buildings and local history
- Ability to work with all ages in a museum setting
Minimum Experience Required
- Two years of experience in retail operations
$11.50 an hour to start. Approximately 4-5 days per week during summer and holiday seasons, fewer during other times of the year. Weekend, nights and holiday work required.
Please submit application online HERE, to include a cover letter and resume.