Restoring the 1860s Kimble-Wilson adobe store
on Warner's Ranch
Learn about the structure of adobe, how to prepare adobe for repair, historic adobe construction, historic repair techniques, and more.
Check the SOHO website for monthly dates. Takes place mostly on Saturdays but some Sundays will be added as needed.
What you will need to bring
- Tools: Please bring if you have and mark so that at end of day any borrowed tools can be returned to their owners (axes, shovels and pruning loppers)
- Goggles/safety glasses
- Wear a long sleeve shirt and clothes that can be stained/ruined, as you will never see them clean again! Adobe mud stains.
- Bag lunch, drinks other than water (We will provide water)
What you will learn
- How to sort historic versus non-historic fabric of a site in disrepair or ruin
- How to make adobe and adobe bricks
- How to mortar and build a dwelling with adobe bricks
- How to make and apply adobe plaster
- How to make and apply whitewash
- And more!
What we will provide for the long-term program
- Mud and organic materials
- Adobe brick molds
- Educational handouts
Where Kimble-Wilson store site on the S-2 at Warner's Ranch (not Warner Springs)
Meet at Warner-Carrillo Ranch house (map/directions)
Parking Park along the entrance road, but OFF of the highway
When Mostly Saturdays, with some Sundays intermittingly with the program duration of 6 to 12 months, or more depending on the site needs. Please check calendar monthly for dates and type of work being done on individual dates, and please check before coming for any changes that may occur (Calendar)
Sign up HERE or call (619) 297-9327
A graduation certificate/diploma and an Adobe U T-shirt will be given to all those completing the Adobe U course in full.
TOURS & EVENTS