12-4pm · Initial clean up of the site
Meet at Warner-Carrillo Ranch House
On the S-2/A half mile east of the 79 junction
In our continued effort to create a volunteer workforce of skilled adobe craftsmen, SOHO presents our most ambitious Adobe University since the restoration of the Pala tribe's Saint Francis Chapel in Warner Springs in the 1990's. Our partners at the Warner-Carrillo Ranch House, the Vista Irrigation District, welcome us to restore the Kimble-Wilson store, an 1860s adobe that has been in great disrepair and ruins for decades, and sits just a mile and a quarter from the WC on the southern overland route. A multiple-day course over six months, this Adobe U will be an intensive and rewarding event.
Led by SOHO's executive director Bruce Coons, one of the leading authorities on California adobes, along with past graduates of Adobe U, students will learn historical and architectural background, technical and practical application, and about the structure of an early California adobe.
Restoring the 1860s Kimble-Wilson adobe store on Warner's Ranch
Learn about the structure of adobe, how to prepare adobe for repair, historic adobe construction, historic repair techniques, and more.
Please bring a bag lunch. We will provide water.
What you will need to bring
- Tools: Please bring if you have and mark so that at end of day any borrowed tools can be returned to their owners (axes, shovels and pruning loppers)
- Goggles/safety glasses
- Wear a long sleeve shirt and clothes that can be stained/ruined, as you will never see them clean again! Adobe mud stains.
- Bag lunch, drinks other than water
What you will learn
- How to sort historic versus non-historic fabric of a site in disrepair or ruin
- How to make adobe and adobe bricks
- How to mortar and build a dwelling with adobe bricks
- How to make and apply adobe plaster
- How to make and apply whitewash
- And more!
What we will provide for the long-term program
- Mud and organic materials
- Adobe brick molds
- Educational handouts
Where Kimble-Wilson store site on the S-2 at Warner's Ranch (not Warner Springs)
Meet at Warner-Carrillo Ranch house (map/directions)
When Mostly Saturdays, with some Sundays intermittingly with the program duration of 6 to 12 months. Please check calendar monthly for dates and type of work being done on specific dates, and please check before coming for any changes that may occur (Calendar)
RSVP SOHO at SOHOsandiego@aol.com or call (619) 297-9327
A graduation certificate/diploma and an Adobe U T-shirt will be given to all those completing the Adobe U course in full.
TOURS & EVENTS