Saved buildings
save our heritage organisation logo

Hotel San Diego

The Hotel San Diego was completed in 1914 by developer and millionaire John D. Spreckels, just in time for the opening of the 1915 Panama-California International Exposition in Balboa Park. It was one of three new buildings constructed by Spreckels on 'D' Street, which was later re-named "Broadway" at the suggestion of Spreckels. Listed as San Diego Historical Site Number 175 in 1983, the Hotel San Diego was also deemed eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. According to the historical material, the six-story Hotel San Diego was significant not only for its architecture and size, but was culturally important because of "its part in establishing the urban fabric of a growing city."

Photo courtesy Coons collection


The GSA selected the Hotel San Diego site for their new Federal Courthouse expansion and did so with little or no regard for the hotel's civic importance, and they never seriously considered a solution that would keep the Hotel San Diego. On April 15, 2006 it was blown up by the Federal Government.

Photo by Sandé Lollis


LOST SAN DIEGO

Ammex Motion Picture Company


Bankers Hill Residences


California Southern (Santa Fe Depot)


Levi Chase House


Julia Dent Residence, Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library

F Street Downtown San Diego


Florence Hotel


Gay Mansion


Alonzo Horton's Home


Hotel San Diego


Melville Klauber House


Normal School


Middletown Schoolhouse


Mission Olive Works


Mission San Luis Rey


Overbaugh House


Pierce-Morse Block


Point Loma Country Club


Point Loma Universal Brotherhood & Theosophical Society Homestead

Sunset Cliffs Park

Share

2476 San Diego Avenue · San Diego CA 92110 · Phone (619) 297-9327
Home | Contact