Saved buildings
save our heritage organisation logo



Yahoo  MSN  Google

1897 St. Luke's Chapel

1897 St. Luke's ChapelSt. Luke's Chapel, the oldest building in North Park is also threatened. Historians maintain this small 1897 Mission Revival-style building was designed by the prominent San Diego architecture firm of Hebbard & Gill for All Saints Episcopal Church based on design hallmarks and the men's church membership. All Saints moved the chapel from Hillcrest to North Park in 1924 to serve as a mission (or satellite) for its rapidly expanding congregation. During the 1950s, St. Luke's Church was built next to the chapel, which now stands boarded up, deteriorating and dark.

The diocese, and not the local church, is responsible for the site and may be considering razing the chapel and a few other old buildings on their property to make way for likely use as a parking lot or other development. SOHO urges the Episcopal diocese to take the boards off this chapel and restore it and make it a vital part of any new plans.

Photo by Sandé Lollis

LISTS FROM PAST YEARS

2017 | 2016

2015 | 2014

2013

Newly Added

Remaining from past years

2012 | 2011

2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006

2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001

Share

2476 San Diego Avenue · San Diego CA 92110 · Phone (619) 297-9327
Home | Contact