Saved buildings
save our heritage organisation logo



Yahoo  MSN  Google

Teachers Training Annex #1

Teachers Training Annex #1On city property in University Heights, the 1910 Teachers Training Annex #1 continues to deteriorate at an alarming rate even though it is listed on the National Register. Built in the Italian Renaissance Revival Style, it is one of the most striking architectural landmarks in University Heights. It has been the focus of concerted community based historic preservation efforts for years.

A National Register site, currently owned by the San Diego Unified School District, the building is located on what are now the grounds of the District's Education Center Complex. It is the only structure remaining from the 1897 San Diego State Normal School's University Heights campus, the forerunner to present day San Diego State University. Originally functioning as a living laboratory for student teachers, it was transferred to the City of San Diego Schools in 1931 and served as the original Alice Birney Elementary School until 1951. It was eventually delegated for records storage and has been left to steadily, and visibly, deteriorate for decades.

What could be a major community asset sits in a state of demolition by neglect. The powers-that-be appear to simply be waiting until it's conveniently too late to save this uniquely grand piece of local history.

Photo by Sandé Lollis

LISTS FROM PAST YEARS

2017 | 2016

2015 | 2014 | 2013

2012

Saves from last year's list

Newly Added

Remaining from past years

2011

2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006

2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001

Share

2476 San Diego Avenue · San Diego CA 92110 · Phone (619) 297-9327
Home | Contact